Tuesday 2 October 2012

NEGOTIATED BRIEFS - Wants and needs workshop

Skills I want and/or need to develop...

Want:-

- illustration - i want to develop my own style and techniques and push them further and experiment with ways that i can apply them to briefs and my design practice
- branding - I like branding and creating a range of deliverables for a brand I want to develop a strong and dynamic approach to branding
- photography
- drawing
- screen printing
- social networking
- printing
- event organisation
- self promotion
- font design
- type as image
- presentation skills - I want to be abel to give a well articulated presentation because I feel that so far I ramble on about a topic and it can be a bit too loose or undirected. Overall I find talking to a group of people quite straight forward.
- people skills - networking with clients and other designers and illustrators

Need:-

- networking
- delivery - execution and presentation of work
- digital design and web design - site maps and design sheets, app design and functionality
- research techniques
- editorial design
- hierarchy of type
- pantone colour referencing
- design for screen - not motion graphics, more web safe fonts and colours


Work I want and/or need to do...

Want:-

- start my own business in retail
- brand my own business
- illustrate more and develop my style and create a name for myself in the illustrative industry
- more branding/rebranding
- work on product based design work such as a new whiskey brand or rebranding some biscuits
- vector based design work
- photography based design work
- screen printed designs and merchandise
- live briefs based on illustration and branding
- selling work online and through self organised events
- create a business network for students to help them collaborate with each other
- vector and icon based projects based around research

Need:-

- editorial look book
- digital designs that are compatible for social networking site
- photography
- typography
- printed t-shirts
- promotional campaign based work
- competition briefs that are established in the design community such as YCN, D&AD, ISTD and RSA
- a short run publication that incorporates photography and digital design


Research I want and/or need to do...

Want:-

- bikes - the anatomy and science of bike, how they are constructed and how to look after them. types of bikes and how the technology has developed
- biscuits - types of biscuits and how they are made, the recipes and uses of biscuits
- whiskey - how whiskey is made, types of whiskey, whiskey labels and branding, promotional campaigns and adverts
- holography - the process, the two kinds of holograms, lighting, lasers, science behind it, possibilities
- films and cinema -
- music
- clothing and retail
- fashion trends
- alcohol
- fish and chips
- cafes

Need:-

- food - local residents interests and preferences in food and restaurants and what they expect/want from a restaurant
- the process of creating a hologram
- the target market of a hologram manufacturer
- pop up events and print fairs
- market research into competitors and other retailers
- how to kick start a business
- peoples everyday commute to work/school
- the fundamental rules of type and layout

Work I want and/or need in my portfolio...

Want:-

- Illustrations - briefs that have utilised my illustrative skills and style to show that they can be as effective as a typically vector or photography based responsible
- vector based work on branding and identity
- competition briefs
- awards and commended design work
- photography orientated designs
- live briefs to showcase my work in action and that I can work to a clients requirements

Need:-

- competition briefs
- live briefs
- collaborative briefs
- printed deliverables
- digital mock ups of proposals to show how far I could push a brief
- independent work to show my individual practice
- print based projects
- digital work like designing for web
- awards
- commended work
- skills based design work such as vectored based, photography based, typography based


Questions I want and/or need to ask...

Want:-

- whats the best way to go about creating a full/6 colour screen printed t-shirt?
- can I do some design work for you and can you pay me? I want to redesign several places but they aren't looking for anyone to redesign them, how can I get them to want me to redesign their businesses and get paid for it?
- can we have a clock in the studio?
-

Need:-

- how do you create a functioning website where people can buy things from?
- who is the best to collaborate with?
- how do you create a perfectly printed and bound publication? I've always struggled with type and layout especially with printing the end product
- how do you get hold of creative directors emails and not the ones that take you through to the reception?
- how is my audience?
- what do i want to get out of each brief?

No comments:

Post a Comment