Thursday 4 October 2012

NEGOTIATED BRIEFS - Brief workshop, timelines and design process

This workshop was a bit of a scarer. So far third years has been quite relaxed and easy going in comparison to Level 5 but this workshop has shined a light on the actual time I have to get the briefs I've written done. I'm a bit nervous now but I've put that down to wanting to do the best I can with these briefs as they're all things I'm interested in and 3 of them are live.

Design process - from the old school text book of design (first year)


1 - IDEA GENERATION
2 - RESEARCH & INVESTIGATION
3 - CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT / CLARIFICATION
4 - DESIGN DEVELOPMENT
5 - EVALUATION & SELECTION
6 - PRODUCTION & RESOLUTION
7 - PRESENTATION & SUBMISSION


They don't necessarily need to be in this order. Depending on the brief it could be product, research, concept or idea driven. Each brief is different in the way I will have to approach it.


Timeline of my briefs. It's difficult to see in this photo but the idea is that we have roughly 10 weeks before the submission of OUGD301 and creating a timeline of how long we expect ourselves to spend doing the 7 parts of the design process in relation to each of our 4 briefs.


I thought it would be a reasonable idea to make some of the parts overlap because I already know that when I'm researching, for example, I'm also generating ideas. Phil came round an spoke to me about it and he raised an important question:

        - will overlapping certain parts of the design process have a negative effect on the overall design work?

With this in mind i'm going to try and focus my attention on individual parts of the design process to see if I'm more productive and designing better.

Fred pointed out that a lot of us were trying to use up all the 10 weeks and we've left no margin of error or 'The Buggeration Factor'. If things go wrong, which they will, then we need time to amend and rectify mistakes.

The workshop concluded with quite a positive talk from Fred about managing our time sensibly and allowing ourselves to take a break or a rest day and go out. Essentially keep a balanced lifestyle and work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment