Thursday 25 October 2012

CONCEPT CRIT 1

I felt slightly under prepared for this crit but I managed to print out boards for what I've done for each brief. Most people had just presented the design work they had done for 1 or 2 and some 3 briefs so I felt like I was on a similar level with the progress.






I got some good and some bad feedback. The good feedback was really helpful because it was people giving me ideas for the briefs that are in there early development stages. The bad feedback basically just pointed out a lot of errors in my ways of designing for my main brief. So both kinds were good but I came away feeling a bit disheartened by it.


I like getting feedback on my boards its very direct and critical. It makes it much easier to understand which bits people are talking about on the formal feedback sheets.

For the MONK, VIEW and BIKOLOGY briefs I didn't have much to show in terms of design development but I have considered all of them and started getting ideas down. This meant that the feedback I got was mostly directed at the PCL brief which I think is a good thing as its the bulk of the work I have to show.





This is the feed back I got from the formal feedback sheets.

Comment on the extent to which the initial briefs have been considered with regards to conceptual development and scope for appropriate products ranges and methods of distribution.


- all briefs have been considered but ideas for method of distribution needed
- MONK - you need to consider what the client wants - illustrative type can still be clean cut 
- consider the high end client base 
- consider colour schemes and stocks
- develop more contextual research as inspiration
- try research into future trends, if its focused on trend you need to be ahead of the curve ask your buddy shaun for some research pointers 
- thorough consideration have you thought enough about new skills (and others) to develop?


Comment on the extent to which the work presented demonstrates appropriate amounts of initial research from appropriate sources.


- an extensive range of research which is informing your design decisions
- BIKOLOGY brief - consider re-writing to work as a branding brief for Bikology shop and design publication work about bicycle anatomy in context of their promotional collateral. Currently seems a little confused/backwards
- there is no clear concept to the elements of the logo, need to either have real justification or get rid of the extra bits
- logo and type hierarchy needs to be addressed
- need broader research for brief 3 and the 4th look like they are still in initial stages
- BIKOLOGY - research into the format and content of publication


Comment on the practical investigation of design ideas, materials and skills have informed decisions relating to possible design solutions.


- obediah - already evidence of practical investigation
- monk - more work needed 

(whoever was giving this feedback wasn't very helpful, they were just stating obvious things about whats in front of them and not giving any suggestions or comments that would help me move forward and improve the work)

- holographics - strong identity needed
- originality - risk of being boring if not done well - more visual development needed
- does the logo need to be so big? I think a more subtle approach is needed
- MONK move away from the decorative type - looks like scruffy American bar where you drink whiskey and dark rum. look at sans serif - minimal type
- MONK - have shop front mock up, think of what you need to propose not just the small print collateral
- OBEDIAH - think bigger - how can you make more plausible - don't just hunk about print designs - shop front, website not just social networks


Additional comments.


- view holographics - keep in mind, content could get complex - keep simple, structured, organised
- type in the logo needs to form a more hierarchical position - doesn't have a place
- consistency in typefaces - use the same in logo as when written out
- purpose of biology publication? - to promote or to stand alone?
- how are these briefs developing your skills?
- think about more digital media (website), maybe typeface design for MONK - more diversity needed


Clearly I've not been focussed enough, I've not been hitting the nails on the head properly and the nails are bent or askew. I'm going to have to readdress a lot of my ideas and really get concrete concepts down for everything I'm doing and produce more work focussing on developing specific skills and a broader range.

No comments:

Post a Comment