Tuesday 13 November 2012

PROGRESS TUTORIAL - with Andy

This was the first time I've really spoken to Andy one on one so I didn't know what sort of feedback I'd get from him as he'd be seeing my work up close for the first time.

The tutorial went really well and we overran which was a massive help for me because I get loads of really good quality direction for my work and advise and ideas. I came away feeling like I'd gotten the feedback I'd been searching for in my crits but never got.

Talking through my briefs, I find, always helps me articulate myself better and understand my own work better. The briefs almost develop as I talk about them and Andy and I got a good dialogue going quite quickly.


First up was my collaborative brief with Marty. I explained the trouble and development the logo had gone under and the mission statement of the company. He seemed to think it was going well judging from his reaction. When I was going through the concept of the company name he touch on the meaning of the word Obediah - servant of God - being a suggestion that we aim to create a following of some sort which he approved as an idea. I've taken this into consideration and I think it would be an interesting insight into how we want to expand and keep in touch with our existing customers via social media.

Recently I've realised that the MONK brief needs to be much further a long and I think a big thing thats holding me back is the lack of direction. I've got ideas but no real information thats helping me pin down whats appropriate and necessary for this brief and also the client. The brief could have so many deliverables and so many different responses at this point that Its a struggle to design for it. Andy advised me to get a few of my best ideas down and present them to Mannie (the client) and get his opinion. Going over the ideas I've already had with the brief Andy has helped greatly with my deisng direction. I just need to get it rolling.

For the VIEW brief I feel that I have a really concrete concept for the design however it needs to be more innovative and cutting edge to reach it's true potential. I just need to go back to the drawing board and tweak bits and try a few other ideas. Time is obviously a factor and I need to begin getting the content together and producing prints. Andy has left me with some really interesting ideas and useful links to look into stock choices and print finishes so I've got a lot of fun experiments to come in the next 2 weeks with getting the processes down and developing my print knowledge and skills.

The BIKOLOGY brief is still in its early stages as the focus has been on the more substantial and valued briefs but we went over the feed back from the concept crit and discussed the possibilities for my design work. The word bikology is a bit of a gift as the o l o sit next to eac hother and look already like the wheels and seat of a bike. I noticed this at first with my initial logo design but Andy has suggested that I try a more subtle approach and incorporate different bits of imagery into the logo. He also mentioned fixed bike blogs and the cult followings and designs that come with them as they can be a great reference and guide on what to do and what not to do.

For my competition brief I've finally chosen the YCN Bacardi brief on the grounds that I like alcohol, I'm the target audience and I've had a lot of experience in night clubbing and working in clubs and bars. I'm really interested in the heritage of the brand and the ways in which alcohol is made and I want to approach this brief with a sophisticated tone of voice that has an undercurrent tone of humour to make the young audience of boys feel like men but remain amused. Andy gave me some starting pointers, food for thought.


Plan of action:

OBEDIAH
 - apply logo across the branding
- get the branded collateral printed
- finalise specifications for photoshoot
- get all shirts needed for the shoot printed and ready
- get feedback on the shirt designs

MONK
- get ideas down to present the Mannie
- email Mannie pdf
- create imagery for printed collateral
- get content for menus from Mannie
- finish the logo and apply across the branding
- get brand collateral printed

VIEW
- develop typeface further and make more appropriate to the current branding
- get content together
- gather stocks for test prints
- experiment more with print finishes
- produce range

BIKOLOGY
- redesign and develop logo to be more subtle
- look at bike blogs and graphics for bike designs
- gather content for magazine

BACARDI
- research into the brand 1 day
- get ideas down for campaign 1 day
- choose idea and develop 1 day
- design the campaign and develop 1 day
- produce, amend, select and evaluate 1 day

No comments:

Post a Comment