Friday 25 May 2012

OUGD203 - YCN// Product//Range//Distribution - Self evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD203               


 Module Title
DESIGN PRACTICE - II



END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
CHARLIE CROSBY


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have greatly developed my software skills throughout this module which is something I had always felt I had missed out on in past modules. During the YCN collaborative brief I had to use Photoshop a lot to edit images to make them suitable for presentable mock ups. Photoshop isn’t my preferred choice of software to work with so it was good to get so much practice and it especially help towards the end of Product, Range and Distribution as I needed to propose several of my deliverables and create more mock ups.






2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Since the start of this module I have been getting much better at organising my files that I’m working with and it’s proved to be incredibly helpful and reduces the stress that I’ve experienced in the past when I’ve failed to retrieve files or work that I need. Although this isn’t strictly a design method it is however an integral and essential work habit.






3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I have gotten much quicker and better at using illustrator to create simple vectors. This is something I’m really interested in exploring further as I can create really great image based type with ease. This project has somewhat linked back to the Image module which I think strengthens my overall design approach and makes my work look more consistent. I feel as though I’m developing a particular response to briefs now where as last year I was a bit loose and like to try anything and everything. In short my designs are becoming more informed and focussed.






4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I can’t seem to make quick decisions until the last minute so my work can get a bit rushed and this cause mistakes.

I would have to say that the main weakness in my work is the fact that I go for the first idea I have, I do develop them but I haven’t truly integrated myself into each design to work on it and explore it to its fullest potential.





5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?


1. Just get on with the designing as soon as possible. I seem to take a lot of joy in the fact I can research well and then I seem to slack of thinking I’ve done plenty of work, I need to start designing straight after the research and not have a break or shut off.

2. Although I’ve been documenting my designing much better with this project I think I should be doing it even more and in finer detail, for instance, making note of the effects, methods and tools I’ve used to create my designs

3. When working collaboratively, take more into my own hands than necessary.

4. Plan any form of printing well in advance. I missed my only booked print slot because I had booked it too early and had nothing ready to print which left me with only the drop in print sessions to get my range printed and photographed.




6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality



x

Motivation

x



Commitment

x



Quantity of work produced

x



Quality of work produced


x


Contribution to the group




x
The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment