Monday 23 May 2011

InDesign Software Brief - Initial ideas.

These are a few thumbnail sketches of ideas I have for my DPS on Lewis. I've drawn my ideas and inspiration from the interviews I've had with him and also the questionnaires I've sent to him.
The Questionnaires will provide most of the content for the 300 words that are required to answer the brief.

I had three main ideas the first being that Lewis is a computer game character relatingto the fact that he loves his computer games as stated in his response to the first questionnaire. I like this idea however the first layout i drew is using too many photos to answer the brief so i had to redraft it.

The second idea was based around Lewis' other passion for going to the gym and getting into shape. I looked at creative and innovative DPS's (see DC blog http://c-crosby1013-dc.blogspot.com/2011/05/type-and-grid-creative-and-interesting.html)and some of them inspired the way i think about how the page works when interacting with it and not just how it works visually. What I've done here is placed the image in the center so when you open the page it will look like he's doing a repetition with a set of dumb bells as if he were at the gym. Not sure about the Layout of the body copy or his name though and furthermore, this design is only using one image.


This is just another variation of the computer game character idea which i have change so it is using just 2 images. On the left there is his profile and 'game statistics' if you will and on the right is a mock power stance like you would find on the cover of a computer game box.


Another redraft just to experiment with different layouts.


This one was favored most out of all the layouts, I think that the symmetry of the layout works nice and neatly which is good as Lewis prefers crisp and tidy design work. It does however seem a bit straight forward. I think I'll definitely be try one or two layouts digitally for this idea.


Lewis has a twin brother and i thought it would be an interesting idea if Lewis had an evil side and a good side to him, still playing on a fantasy computer game theme. It's helpful for this idea that he has two names that can be first names. However, when I ask for people's opinions in the studio they said they didn't like it as much as the other ideas and it would possibly be a bit weird and (for want of a better word) naff.


This is the mini grid i made quickly to draw up these thumbnails. I'm using a similar one to the grid i used for the Type and Grid workshops we had with Lorenzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment