Friday 7 December 2012

VIEW - stock choice / binding a dummy book

I've decided to use 3 different stocks for the publication to represent the three lasers. Instead of going for the RGB colour scheme I had originally intend I've gone for a more neutral set of colours. I've combined and off white antique and a pastil steel grey for the main body copy as the black ink sits on it well and it's readable on both. I've added a few sheets of yellow the same as the cover for some pages that will have significant chapter titles on them.

I've decided to create a perfect open bind because it's quick and the amount of information that needs to be in the publication requires several signatures and perfect binds allow the pages to open fully.

I've changed the cover so it's a hard back by glueing it to a sheet of grey board before trimming the cover and cutting it in half. The grey board is then covered by a sheet of the pastil steel grey stock to fit the aesthetic of the rest of the publication.

For the foiling I've used the heat press instead of the laminator but it hasn't come out as good. I tested some different coloured stock and for an undeterminable reason it only worked properly on the yellow stock. This was quite fortunate as its my primary stock choice.











I've mocked in a few page spreads to show the layout of the publication and how the different stocks would be used.





No comments:

Post a Comment