Monday 22 November 2010

End of Module Self-Evaluation

1. what skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


To begin with i had never worked in a group before so it was a big change when we we given the How To... project but it helped me with the way i talk about my ideas and try to paint a mental image for someone else. Furthermore standing up in front of the entire year group for the first time and giving a presentation of the same project was a big step up in confidence and it really broke the ice for the weeks to follow.
I picked up some valuable skills in the illustrator brief mostly the different functions of the pent tool, and then went on the learn a few new hot keys and short cuts and a couple of other techniques that has really broadened the way i think in terms of how i can create images and typefaces.
I have always been able to research but during the research brief given to us over read week it was a nice change to have a list of things to look at to aid and focus our research and its made me think more about what i can find out about the subject I'm working with and how that new information can broaden my knowledge and inspire/affect my work.
throughout the rest of the briefs I've felt a definite improvement in my work and I've become increasingly more motivated and engaging more in the course.
I think I have used all the skills i have gain from this module at some point as well as skills from the other on going modules and it has had great positive effect on my work.

2. what approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have learnt to look deeper into the subject matter and really keep focused on what I'm look at instead of stringing pieces of information together loosely has I have done in the past. I found it really refreshing to learn that it doesn't necessarily have to be creative research and visually attractive but i can just be gathering facts and statistics and articles that provide information.
Collecting informative resources like this has definitely influence the way i think and has given my work a new dynamic and greater depth, which had increased throughout the module.

3. what strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My work has been getting stronger since the start of the year with is a very positive thing and it's greatly built up my motivation. The strengths in my work I'd say would most probably be the ideas and the aesthetics or my final pieces. They are visually appealing in terms of composition and colour.

4. what weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I have always found using type effectively difficult and often I'll have an idea in mind but it wont come out how I visualised it originally, however i do feel an improvement in the type I have applied to my work.
Often I think of one or two ideas and ill stick to them which can more often than not become restricting this was pointed out to me in my progress tutorial during reading week and i have since tried to push out more from my initial ideas and come up wit ha wider variety of resolutions.

5. identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?



  1. when recieiving a brief i will go directly in to doing necessary research and blog it.
  2. from there i will gain visuals to begin brainstorming and pooling ideas.
  3. i want to start working on both design sheets and in a sketch book so far it's been one or the other.
  4. explore a wider range of colours and use more colour in my work.
  5. go beyond my first response to a brief and gather more ideas and be more selective from those ideas instead of diving in and just going with the first idea that comes to me.
I expect to gain a broader creative flow and more ideas for putting these five points into practice and ultimately i hope to build a bigger body of work whilst maintaining and exceeding the standard of work.


6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an 'X')


5= excellent, 4= very good, 3= good, 2= average, 1= poor


Attendance: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 X
Punctuality: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 X 5 -
Motivation: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 X 5 -
Commitment: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 X 5 -
Quantity of Work Produced: 1 - 2 X 3 - 4 - 5 -
Quality of Work Produced: 1 - 2 - 3 X 4 - 5 -
Contribution o the Group: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 X 5 -

No comments:

Post a Comment